15 February 2010

Coal and you

For all those who read this and are living downwind of a coal plant please heed this warning. I have noticed that the Roanoke Valley is cursed with an extraordinarily high incidence of myotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), often referred to as "Lou Gehrig's Disease," it is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord.

Based on U.S. population studies, a little over 5,600 people in the U.S.are diagnosed with ALS each year. This works out to about 1 per 50,000. Ask yourself how many people you know in the Roanoke area that have this condition. I can count 10. There should be about 3 per year, now if I can count ten in my small circle, then there are going to be many, many more in our area.

I am convinced that we are paying the price of cheap energy. Every day we breathe the unregulated Mercury and other emmisions from coal plants. If you know anyone with ALS please let me know as I want to start an unofficial count.

Here is some more info about coal for those who are interested:

Will You Be a Victim of Killer Coal?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome!
Please use the Name/URL option (you don't have to register, just enter a screen-name) or sign your anonymous post at the bottom.
ANONYMOUS POSTS WILL BE DELETED.
Thanks,
AJ